Tuesday 23 July 2013

No bake Mango and Strawberry Pie



No bake Mango and Strawberry Pie
The weather has been so hot. Here in the UK we've been experiencing a heatwave, which is different and nice, but it does make fasting a lot harder. Not being able to drink water or eat food until sunset has been difficult, however it does make me realise how lucky I am. Here I can drink water as soon as the sun starts to set, but there are people around the world who havn't drank water or eaten any food in days. So I have to say Ramadhan has really helped me to be thankful for all the things I have and that I do need to do more charity work to help the poor and needy.

Anyways, let me introduce you to my mango and strawberry pie. My dad claimed it was one of the best desserts I've made! I have to agree with him. This is such a refreshing dessert, so fruity its perfect for summer!


We had a lot of mangoes in the house and I could see we were all getting rather bored of having slices of mango everyday after breaking our fast. So I thought why not use my new pie tin and make a mango pie, and since it is summer why don't I combine some strawberries into this as well. Seriously the outcome was amazing!

For the mango filling I used a similar method to my Lime delight but I cut down on the citrus and only used the zest and juice of one lemon. Now the top part of the pie should've been a nice thick strawberry sauce, but I made a mistake and used up all the strawberries I had and so the sauce was too runny (oops!) I then added some corn flour to the sauce, but it still wasn't thickening so I boiled it and it basically became strawberry jam. It tasted good, but I think for presentation it should've been a sauce with some whole bits of strawberry in it. So I changed the recipe a bit and put the strawberry sauce method instead of the strawberry jam method.

For the crust:
332g (around 20 biscuits) of chocolate digestives 
50g unsalted butter, melted

For the mango filling:
2 whole mangoes, peeled and sliced (you can use canned, just drain out the syrup)
397g can of condensed milk
300ml double cream
zest and juice of 1 lemon

For the strawberry sauce:
400g of strawberries
65g (1/2 cup) icing sugar
zest and juice of 1 lemon

  1. Begin by crushing your digestive biscuits. Pop them into a blender and crush until they form a crumb mixture. Add in the melted butter and mix until the mixture clumps together. Press the mixture into your pie dish, creating a smooth base and side with your hands or the back of a spoon. Chill in the fridge for 2 hours.
  2. To make your mango filling, puree your mangoes in a blender. In a seperate bowl add your condensed milk, double cream, lemon juice and zest and beat for around 3 minutes (the mixture should have thickened). 
  3. Add the mango puree to the condensed milk mixture and beat for another minute. Pour the mango mixture into your pie dish and chill in the fridge for at least 5 hours (you could even leave over night)
  4. To make the strawberry sauce, puree 3/4 of the strawberries with the icing sugar, lemon juice and zest. The sauce should be a nice thick consistency. Pour the strawberry sauce into a bowl and fold in the rest of the strawberries. 
  5. Take the pie out of the fridge and with a spoon gently pour the strawberry sauce onto the centre of the pie, the sauce should spread out by itself. Finally pop back into the fridge to chill for an hour.
Enjoy! :)

5 comments:

  1. Thank you Aishah, the No bake mango and Stawberry pie was incredibly good, everyone loved it. I really don't know what I would have pulled off for desert with out your help so thanks again. I really hope to see more of your amazing ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds devine..I really appreciate your attention to detail and clear instructions. It makes it a lot easier for novices like me to make it happen!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. After checking out a number of the blog posts on your web site, I
    truly appreciate your way of writing a blog. I book-marked it to my bookmark website list and will be checking back soon. Please visit my website as well and
    let me know what you think.

    Feel free to visit my blog post ... law phoenix

    ReplyDelete